Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Let Me Introduce Myself - Fun Name Song Freebies for the Beginning of the Year

It is officially August and that means...back to school next month. I wonder when my school dreams will begin? How many of you know what I'm talking about??? You know the ones where you show up the first day and there are no supplies in the room, you have a class of about 50 kids all standing on tables, or the one where you are wearing some hideous outfit??? Those dreams typically start for me in a couple of weeks. Our first official day of school with our students is September 9th which seems sooooo late!!

I like to begin the year focusing on our names. It is a word that all of the children can read and most can write. They can begin the year feeling like they are confident readers and writers! Plus, it is a nice way to get to know one another.

I usually use songs or poems to learn names and to examine the letters in our names. I made a small packet of 3 songs that I use. They are to the tunes of some familiar songs. I made two copies of each song. The second copy has a blank line where the name should be in case you would like to have the children write names. You could also print the song sheet into a poster size, laminate it, and use a wipe-off marker to fill in the names. Click the image below to grab this fun freebie!


This is an example of one of the songs!

Pin It Now!

4 comments:

Laurie said...

OMG, I've already had a school dream. I went to get my kids in the morning and I only had one student show up to school.

Laurie
First Grade Lyons' Den

Jodi said...

Thank you for the songs, it will be fun to sing and maybe have some soloists! No school dreams yet but I expect them at any time!!

Carol T. said...

Thanks for sharing the songs. I teach kindergarten and it would be lovely to have a song that introduces each students as kinders can be very shy at the beginning of the year.

Do you use these as part of morning meeting?

Carol T.

Allison said...

Hi Carol. Thanks for your comment. Yes, I use these songs during my morning meeting for the first month of school. The children really love them. I finally figured out how to print them into a poster size last year, so I laminated them and reused them everyday.

Post a Comment